Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Structure


It is funny how I just mentioned Matthew Ritchie and now he is in this episode of Art 21. A lot of these artists are very deep in the sense that they know their work so well, and can explain it in a highly intelligent way. It makes me wonder if I will fully understand their concepts and if I will also have my own “out of this world” explanation for my art. I am going to just talk about Matthew Ritchie’s work, because his is the only one that really caught my attention. The two pieces below are Matthew Ritchie. They just grabbed my attention, partially because of the scale, the non-flat wall, and the circles and colors of the other. 




His works are massively big and have a great amount of detail in them.  He uses a computer programs to zoom into the smallest details and zoom out for the big picture. They are projected on the wall and traced. Ritchie’s work is collaboration with a handle full of other people. Matthew was always shown working with assistances. He has no problem with people being a part of the work.

Matthew Ritchie also talks about his art and how it relates to his ideas of the big picture. For example the “cell” is a metal cell that could surround a person. This locks a person in. It is their prison and is like the prison where we put the “bad people.” They are trapped and locked in that viewpoint. Picture below is the piece.  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment