Saturday, March 12, 2011

Ecology


Ursula Von Rydingsvard, the first artist shown in this episode, was very particular with only using cedar wood for her sculptures. They are enormous sculptures. Her work looks like it is an over whelming amount of work and it is. She has a handful of people helping her get the pieces just right. I like the work tilted “Wall Pocket.” I like the rough edges. Many of her other pieces resemble, in my opinion, sides of cliffs/mountains or the Grand Canyon. 



Inigo Manglano-Ovalle’s work of “Cloud Prototype No. 1” is very unique, a time stopped in a sculpture. I wonder what I would have come up with if I didn’t know that it was a storm cell. I can tell that it looks to be a storm and possibly a tornado. I like it in the video verse looking at this picture, not sure if it is the same one. I like how the light hit and reflected off to reveal a blue. It almost looked like rain falling from a cloud.



Mark Dion’s work in the beginning was disgusting. I was grossed out when he was rubbing the mice/rats with black paint. It is probably because he said that he got them from a lab, and that they were once real. Knowing that kind of freaks me out. The finish product was nice. The last project that they focused on was the tree that had fallen. I find it fascinating that they were putting emphasize on that it was not a naturally system in the enclosed controlled environment and also they could never duplicate the natural system that occurs in nature.



No comments:

Post a Comment