Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Romance


Laurie Simmons’ dolls were interesting. I didn’t really care for the works that were shown on Art 21. With out her earlier work though she would not have done the three photos of the dolls below. She said that she uses the camera as a tool. These dolls are frozen in time, or an action. They actually really creep me out because they look so real. I believe these photos are from this year and are from a series of other poses of the doll called Love Doll. Here is the website for the other photos. http://www.lauriesimmons.net/photographs/the-love-doll/#  






Simmons’ also did fabric collaborations with Thakoon Panichgul for the Spring 2009 collections. Pictured is two of the same dress. One is on the runway and the other looks to be more editorial. I appreciate this project because I am very interested fashion.  I love patterns, texture, and the way the fabric lies. I like the layers on the skirt or bottom part of the dress. I believe the pattern is a flower with legs coming out of it. This showed up in the video too when she had objects on top of people with only there legs sticking out. Her work has evolved yet she has kept her roots. 





No comments:

Post a Comment