Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Time


I personally hate sculpting myself. We just don’t fit together. Martin Puryear however has it down when it comes to working with wood and sometimes other materials. I have an appreciation for sculptors and it could be because I don’t enjoy doing what they do or that I know that I could never produce anything like that. I thought his latter piece was neat because it appeared to becoming from the sky or suspended in air. I believe this was the point when he was talking about artificial perspective. He also mentioned that he did not care to explain his work too much because it was in the work itself. The title of the episode, related to Puryear’s explanation that the work doesn’t have to relate or translate to what is going on at the time. Rather that it will eventually find its place even though we are unfamiliar with it. 

Below is a Puryear’s piece in Los Angeles, California, called That Profile. It is made out of stainless steel and bronze. This shape showed up in Martin Puryear’s segment multiple times. This organic shape resembles a head shape. As said before, he works with wood, so when he takes on other material projects, he collaborates with others who have different skills. It is important to him personally and believes that others should invite people with different skills to impose their input on the work. This will open artist thinking and possibly lead it in a better direction.



I quickly want to end with Vija Celmins. Her work habit is fairly odd, but in her view is therapeutic and brings her closer to her work. The work has memory. I thought it was interesting that she would do a painting nine times and erasing it, or painting over it in-between. She is very detailed and accurate. I like to work that way sometimes, or at least in the beginning. I really enjoyed her space/star/comet painting during the show. 


No comments:

Post a Comment