Thursday, February 17, 2011

Humor

Raymond Pettibon was my favorite artist out the Humor episode. I am not sure of the titles of the pictures below, but I’m not sure they really even need any. It was interesting that a bunch of Raymond’s work is writing base and that is his first passion. He doesn’t feel the need to separate the two or no need to pick one over the other. His style is coming from a comic perspective. His images are about personal and what is out in the world. Pettibon has a few alter egos like Gumbie and Va-Voom that show up in his work, as well as presidents and celebrities. Other figures and actions show up in his work and that is his way of not respecting them, and has anger towards them.






He addresses many issues in his work and though it raises politically based work, it is not. Pettibon likes to hit every angle. In my opinion I believe he knows a lot about different types of people and what they might be thinking in their head. That then can translate into the writing. I don’t think I fully understand his works. Some of them I get and others I don’t. I guess it depends on if they are personal or fit a specific time. In the episode he talked about how most of his work was failure. I am not sure what he meant by that, but maybe his message was not translated or understood. From the humor aspect, I think the comic style with words and harsh lines give it a comedic feel.      

No comments:

Post a Comment