Monday, January 31, 2011

Identity



During this episode Maya Lin and Bruce Nauman used other skills to aid in their art. Maya Lin has an architecture back ground, which shows up in her outside sculptures, such as the Vietnam Memorial. Bruce Nauman used mathematics to bring his sculptures to life, like his many sculptures of stairs. This blend makes their art complex and like Kerry James Marshall mentioned, it is evidence of their thinking and processes. This was shown in the video with Maya Lin. I could tell when she was in the studio working, she was in deep thought and was figuring out her next move.

My favorite art in this episode was Maya Lin’s Ecliptic Park. I personally love and am fascinated with the stars and astronomy.




Finally Kerry James Marshall reminded me of Wanda Ewing. Here I have a piece from both artist. I have been familiar with Wanda’s work for a few years and Marshall’s Black-power figures had a similar message as hers, except Wanda’s empowers females. Wanda’s painting is girl #6 of a group called “Black As Pitch, Hot As Hell Pin Ups.” 


            
                       Wanda Ewing


No comments:

Post a Comment